The theme of the conference was “Climate, Security, and Development: Challenges and Opportunities for a Just Transition”. The conference brought together researchers, scientists, policymakers, and other stakeholders from around the world to discuss the impacts of climate change on security, development, and social justice.
Held on October 24-26, 2023, in Essaouira, Morocco. The conference was organized by the Centre International de Recherche et de Renforcement des Capacités (CI2RC), the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom (FFN), the association ENERGIES 2050, and the École Supérieure de Technologie d’Essaouira, Université Cadi Ayyad (ESTE, UCA).
The conference included a variety of sessions, panels, and workshops. Some of the topics that were discussed included:
- The impacts of climate change on coastal communities in Morocco
- The role of climate change in food security
- The challenges of adapting to climate change in the tourism sector
- The opportunities for a just transition to a low-carbon economy in Morocco
The conference concluded with a call for action to address the challenges of climate change in Morocco. The participants called for increased investment in climate mitigation and adaptation, and for the development of policies that promote a just transition to a low-carbon economy.
The CI2C 2023 was an important event that helped to raise awareness of the challenges and opportunities of climate change in Morocco. The conference also provided a platform for researchers, scientists, and policymakers to share knowledge and expertise on this important issue.
Here are some specific details about the conference:
- The conference was attended by over 200 participants from 20 countries.
- The keynote speakers included:
- André Azoulay, Conseiller de Sa Majesté le Roi Mohammed VI
- Abdeljalil Bouzougar, Directeur de l’Institut National des Sciences Archéologiques et Patrimoine
- Mohamed El Kettani, Président de la Fondation Mohammed VI pour la Protection de l’Environnement
- Mohamed El Alami, Président de l’Association ENERGIES 2050
- The conference included a number of side events, including a youth forum and a film festival.